Summer Session at the University of Portland: An Enriching Way to Spend Your Summer
The 2019 Summer Session is designed to extend the academic year experience at the University of Portland to both undergraduate and graduate students. More than 200 different courses are offered by the University’s five colleges on campus—the College of Arts and Sciences and the Schools of Business Administration, Education, Engineering, and Nursing. The offerings include regular courses taught during the academic year, as well as innovative courses available only in the summer. Among the advantages in attending the University of Portland’s Summer Session are:
- Personal Attention: From the time you register for summer session until your learning experience is completed, you will be assisted by University faculty and staff. Student services such as the University Health Center and the Office of Residence Life remain open to help you during the summer session. In addition, major University facilities such as the 360,000-volume Clark Library, the computer center, the bookstore, and Bauccio Commons dining hall and the Pilot House maintain regular summer hours.
- Flexible Scheduling: Summer Session features scheduling options of varying lengths. You may select to attend classes during a six-week or eight-week session, or a several-day seminar. Whether you have a weekend, six weeks, or all summer to be a student, there are options available to arrange a summer course schedule to meet your individual needs and interests.
- Sequences: Summer Session is the ideal time to complete a missed course in your program, take a course (or courses) to reduce your academic year credit load, or to have time to focus on a particular course in your program.
- First Year Students: Summer is a great time to begin life at the University of Portland, if you are seeking fall admission to a degree program. Summer study before your freshman year will allow you to reduce the number of semester credit hours you take during your first year of study, while still maintaining a full-time student status. (New students must be regularly admitted to the University for summer semester to be eligible for financial aid.)
- College of Arts & Sciences Internships: All summer internships through the College of Arts & Sciences are discounted to 1/3 of the already discounted regular summer session tuition. This means you can get academic credit and job experience for only $320 per credit hour.
- A Dynamic Environment: The lush 165-acre University of Portland campus is located in one of the United States’ most beautiful cities. During the summer months, the lovely Rose City offers concerts, festivals, theater performances and other cultural events, which can provide diversion from your studies. The University is about eight miles from downtown Portland, an hour or so from Mt. Hood, and less than two hours’ drive to the rugged Oregon coast.