University of Portland Bulletin 2012-2013

V. Grades and Credits

  1. Midterm Grades and Academic Warning Instructors are required to give a mid-term grade to each student in 100 and 200 level courses at the mid-point of each semester. These grades are entered in the student’s record but they do not become a part of the academic history that appears on their transcript. In upper-division courses, instructors should provide either mid-term grades for the entire class, or give a written academic warning to each student who is failing or near failing. A copy of this warning will be turned in to the Office of the Registrar.
  2. Change of Grade No one but the instructor of a course can give a grade in that course or change a grade once given. The change of any grade other than the I , IP, or original data entry error must be justified in writing to the associate provost.
  3. Grade Report A grade report for each student is available online during the week following the close of each semester. A paper copy will be mailed to the student’s permanent address upon request. Grades will not be released or redirected over the telephone. If a student has any account balances or obligations such as tuition, library or parking fines, loans, etc., a hold will be placed on grade reports, transcripts, and/or diplomas until paid.
  4. Grading System The grading system is based upon achievement in course work attempted. The grades and points of this grade point average (G.P.A.) system are as follows:

    Points per Semester Hour Grade

























    In addition, the following symbols are used:

    P — Pass

    NP — No Pass

    AD — Audit

    I — Work Incomplete

    IP — In Progress (given only for Thesis 599 and other approved courses)

    W — Withdrew (with permission)

    NG — No Class Grade Register Submitted

    The G.P.A. is the total points divided by the total semester hours in which grades of A through F are received. All courses which the student does not successfully complete will be denoted on the transcript by the symbol I, IP, F, or NP.

  5. Incomplete The grade I is allowed only with the approval of the dean. An incomplete may be given when a student needs no further formal instruction but is unable to complete some requirement of the course due to circumstances beyond their control. The instructor must inform the dean in writing of their reasons for the incomplete and the agreed upon date for completion of the requirement (not to exceed one year). The I will convert to an F if the requirement is not completed by the deadline.
  6. Pass/No Pass Certain courses, because of their content and scope, are graded on the pass/no pass basis. These courses are determined by the dean of the college or professional school which offers the courses involved upon recommendations of the faculty of a department or professional school. Such courses will not be subject to the regulations on student options below. Courses that are required by the University core, college curriculum, or departmental program may not be taken pass/no pass. To fulfill the remaining credit hours for graduation, three courses may be taken pass/no pass. The student must have the approval of his/her academic advisor and dean. Courses attempted under the pass/no pass system and completed successfully will carry academic credit, while unsuccessful performance will carry no credit but will be listed on a student’s transcript. However, neither result will be included in the computation of the grade point average. Grades assigned will include P for performance ranging from D- to A and NP for F. The instructor will not be made aware that a student is enrolled under the system. The grades he/she submits will be translated into either a P or an NP by the registrar. Within the parameters above, one change in registration from regular status to pass/no pass or vice versa will be allowed in a given course up to the date listed in the University calendar.
  7. Repeating Courses Only courses in which a grade of C-, D+, D, D-, F, or NP has been received may be repeated at the University of Portland for academic credit. A course may be repeated only once and only the latest grade is included in the computation of the G.P.A. and the total number of credit hours required for graduation. Both courses and grades will remain on the permanent academic record, with the original course denoted by the symbol E. While courses repeated at the University of Portland may change one’s grade point average, equivalent courses taken at another institution, even when fulfilling University requirements, cannot be used to replace any course or grade entered on the permanent academic record, or to change one’s University of Portland G.P.A.
  8. Withdrawal To receive a W, a student must officially withdraw from a course in which he/she chooses not to continue. The withdrawal is effective the date it is filed in the registrar’s office, and in no instance later than the date listed in the University calendar. Students who seek an exception from this regulation for individual courses after the deadline must meet with the appropriate department head and academic dean who will make a recommendation to the associate provost in accord with Reg. XI e. In no instance will a request be considered for a late withdrawal from an individual course without academic penalty that has not been forwarded with the recommendation of the academic dean.
  9. Leave/Readmission Students must be continuously enrolled during fall and spring semesters or seek a leave of absence. A leave form may be secured from the registrar. Students must secure the requisite signatures on the form in order to obtain an approved leave. Students who are not enrolled and do not seek a leave must apply for readmission. Readmission is not automatic and requires approval by the dean of admissions.
  10. Medical Leave of Absence Medical leave of absence is designed to allow an undergraduate or graduate student to pursue treatment for medical or psychiatric conditions, or to accommodate students too ill to complete the semester. A granted medical leave allows a student to leave school for not more than one year without subsequent academic penalty, and with minimal financial implications. The student will have grades of W recorded for the semester of departure. For full details, please review the "Medical Withdrawal Policy" found in the Financial Aid Handbook at A medical leave of absence is granted at the discretion of the Office of the Provost; however, requests for a medical leave of absence originate at the University Health Center.

To return after a medical leave, a student must present appropriate documents to the University Health Center.