University of Portland Bulletin 2016-2017

XIII. Miscellaneous Regulations

  1. Applicability Students and University personnel are bound by all published University rules and regulations.
  2. Administrative Withdrawal The University reserves the right to withhold or terminate the privilege of attending the University when such official action is deemed advisable or necessary in the interest of the student or of the University or both. When such action involves termination of attendance within a semester or session, it shall be termed “Administrative Withdrawal.’’ An appropriate record shall be kept in the confidential files of the vice president for student affairs and a notation of such action shall be kept in the student’s file in the Office of the Registrar.
  3. Bulletin Year The Bulletin year that governs a student's academic program is the Bulletin in force for the semester the student matriculates at the University of Portland. An exception to this is if the student elects to move to the current Bulletin when the student changes the degree or primary major the student is pursuing or when the student transfers within the University from one professional school or college to another. An additional exception is if a student elects to move to the current Bulletin if there is significant change to the program of study. The academic program of students readmitted after a five year absence will be governed by the Bulletin in effect at the time the student re-enrolls. All degree requirements will be met under the provisions of a single Bulletin.
  4. Course Numbers The number assigned to a course indicates in a general way its academic level. Generally, courses numbered in the one hundreds (1xx) are for freshmen; courses numbered in the two hundreds (2xx) are for sophomores. Courses numbered in the three hundreds (3xx) are upper-division courses for undergraduates only. Four hundred courses (4xx) are principally for upper-division undergraduate students, but a limited number of such courses may be applied toward advanced degrees with the permission of the department head and the associate provost. Five hundred courses (5xx) are graduate courses which may be taken for undergraduate credit by advanced students with the permission of the head of the department in which the course is taught and the dean of the college. Courses numbered in the seven hundreds (7xx) are reserved for continuing education credit courses ordinarily not acceptable as fulfilling requirements in programs leading to academic degrees. Course numbers in the eight hundreds (8xx) are reserved for non-credit continuing education courses. Course numbers in the nine hundreds (9xx) are reserved for continuing education courses taken for continuing education units (CEUs) only.
  5. Dean’s List The undergraduate dean’s list is compiled at the end of each semester by the Office of the Registrar. To qualify for the dean’s list, a student must complete at least 12 semester hours of credit which count toward their grade point average; receive a grade of C or above in all classes which count toward their grade point average, receive no F or NP grades; and earn a semester G.P.A. of 3.50 or higher. There is no dean’s list during the summer or in the Graduate School.
  6. Exceptions Exception to any academic regulation is permitted only for extraordinary reasons, and then only by the provost's office.
  7. Student Address Students are required to report in writing or online to the Office of the Registrar their off-campus, local address and any changes of address, both local and permanent, each semester. (Note: Residence hall students’ addresses are automatically recorded.)
  8. Transcripts A transcript of credit is a complete and faithful copy of the student’s University academic record. Official transcripts bear the seal of the University and the signature of the registrar. Requests for transcripts must be made in writing including the student’s signature. We are unable to accept telephone or e-mail requests since the student’s signature is required to release their transcript. To order a transcript, please send an original, signed letter indicating where you would like your transcripts to be sent, or download and mail the transcript request form from our website at Please include in your written request the following information: name(s) under which you may have attended; U.P. ID number; date of birth; and dates you attended the University of Portland. Transcripts are normally mailed within 2 working days of receiving the request. You can order a rushed transcript for an additional fee and it will be processed immediately. Please allow additional days for processing if you attended the University prior to 1983. The University will not issue transcripts for anyone with outstanding account balances or obligations. Note: For transcripts from previous educational institutions attended, students must contact each institution directly.
  9. Withdrawal: Types and Process

    Withdrawal from all courses during the semester.

    Students who wish to withdraw from all courses prior to the end of a semester may obtain a request form from the Associate Dean of their College/School.  The withdrawal process requires approval from various offices before it is complete. 

    Eligibility for any adjustment to tuition charges is based on the date a University Official is notified by the student that they wish to withdraw.  You can obtain information regarding tuition adjustments for complete withdrawals in the Student Accounts and Financial Aid Offices.  If you fail to complete the withdrawal process you will be responsible for all tuition charges and all grades submitted by your instructors.  If there is a medical or emergency situation that prevents you from completing the withdrawal process yourself please contact your Associate Dean, the Associate Provost or the Director of the Shepard Academic Resource Center for assistance. 

    Withdrawing Permanently from the University

    Students who do not plan on returning to the University may obtain a request to withdraw form from the Associate Dean of their College/School.  Whether a student is withdrawing at the end of a semester or between semesters, they can file the form at any time in the semester preceding their permanent withdrawal.  The withdrawal will be processed at the end of the semester.

    Students who leave the University without completing the request form for withdrawal including the required signatures, may be charged for subsequent semesters in which they have registered.  Not attending classes does not constitute withdrawal from the University.

  10. University Communication All University of Portland students, faculty, and staff are required to obtain access to the University network, the campus portal (PilotsUP,) and a University of Portland e-mail account ( for communication purposes. Communication from University offices is posted on the campus portal or sent to the address and students, faculty, and staff are responsible for any information that is conveyed.