University of Portland Bulletin 2021-2022

VIII. Probation and Dismissal Due to Poor Scholarship

Any student who earns a semester G.P.A. below 2.0 will be placed on academic probation. A student who does not have a 2.0 G.P.A. at the 60 credit hour benchmark may be dismissed. Furthermore, the records of those students who complete fewer than 12 credit hours during a semester will be reviewed by the dean or the dean's representative. When the academic progress of such a student is judged unsatisfactory, that student will be placed on academic probation.

If at the end of the next regular semester the student is not placed on probation, the student returns to regular academic standing. A student who is placed on probation for two semesters in any twelve-month period may be dismissed from the University.

In addition, regardless of the number of semesters on probation, a student may be dismissed if, in the opinion of the dean, the student’s academic progress is inadequate to assure successful continuation at the University.

A student who has been dismissed from the University for academic reasons may appeal in writing to the associate provost for a review of the initial decision, making clear the basis of the appeal. The appeal may be based solely on one of the following criteria: 1. The criteria for the initial dismissal were not followed during the student’s original review; or 2. New and significant evidence is available which was unknown and could not have been known at the time of the initial review; or 3. The student has been treated in a capricious or prejudiced manner. The associate provost will consult with the dean and the student involved and will review all the materials associated with the case. The student will be informed in writing of the final decision on the appeal. The decision of the associate provost is final.

Appeal for readmission

A student who has been dismissed from the University for academic reasons may appeal for re-admission in writing to the Academic Standing Committee of the University. The letter and any supporting documents should be addressed to the associate provost, who is the chair of the Academic Standing Committee. It is only with the approval of this committee that a student, once dismissed, may be re-admitted to the University.